Tyrie Jenkins M.D. - Ophthalmologist and Eye Surgeon
The heart and soul of Jenkins Eye Care is Tyrie Jenkins, M.D. As a nationally renowned Ophthalmologist and eye surgeon, she sets the standard for eye care in the US and at her practice in Honolulu.
Widely known as a LASIK pioneer, she performed laser vision correction in 1997, and was the first to do so in Hawaii. Over the years Dr. Jenkins has evaluated and invested in new technologies so she can bring the very best care and deliver outstanding outcomes for her patients.
As an experienced cataract surgeon, Dr. Jenkins utilizes the LenSx® blade free technology for laser cataract surgery. She continually studies and researches the cutting edge treatments to give her patients their best vision for a lifetime.
Dr. Jenkins received her medical degree from Jefferson Medical School in Philadelphia and performed her residency requirements at the world renowned Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia.
She is a board certified ophthalmologist and an active member of numerous organizations and ophthalmic societies.
Dr. Jenkins conducts the Jenkins Eye Care Lecture Series as well as being a lecturer for the SCORH Society & Hawaii Optometric Association.
She has served on the boards of The Hawaii Community Foundation, Women’s Fund of Hawaii, Hawaii Opera Theatre, and Hawaii Public Radio. She has been involved in the local and international community participating in several medical missions to Marshall Islands, China, Samoa, and Vietnam.
Besides restoring the vision of her patients, she is also passionate about biking, golf, sailing, knitting and most importantly spending time with her two grandchildren.
- College: Mount Holyoke College – South Hadley, MA
- Medical School: Jefferson Medical School – Philadelphia, PA
- Internship: Wilmington Medical Center – Wilmington, DE
- Residency: Wills Eye Hospital – Philadelphia, PA
- American Board of Ophthalmology, 1986
Professional and Academic Affiliations
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Hawaii Medical Association
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- American European Congress of Ophthalmic Surgery
- Hawaii Ophthalmology Society
- Small Business Association: Oahu Women in Business Advocate 2004
- Pacific Business News: Women Who Mean Business 2000, 2004
- YMCA: Leader Luncheon Award 2005
- Visx: Top 100 List of Eye Surgeons in the US, twice named
Jeffrey Peterson, M.D. – Ophthalmologist and Eye Surgeon
Jeffrey Peterson, M.D., Ph.D. focuses on the care of patients with glaucoma and cataracts.
Dr. Peterson was born and raised in Honolulu and is thrilled to have returned to Hawaii to practice ophthalmology. He earned both an M.D. and a Ph.D from Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City, and completed his residency in ophthalmology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. He was specialty trained through a fellowship in glaucoma at the Robert Cizik Eye Clinic at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston.
Dr. Peterson is adept at managing advanced cases of glaucoma. He understands the rigor of chronic eye diseases like glaucoma and their impact on patient’s lives. Dr. Peterson employs sophisticated leading edge techniques for early detection and the medical and surgical treatment of glaucoma. He is committed to educating his patients about glaucoma and walking them through each step of treatment.
Dr. Peterson has been an invited speaker at both national and international scientific and clinical meetings. He has authored numerous peer reviewed journals and textbook chapters.
Dr. Peterson and his wife, Sarah Grekin M.D. have a daughter and a son. He enjoys hiking, swimming, golfing, playing the piano, running and reading. He is thrilled to return to the islands and to have the opportunity to treat patients with glaucoma and other eye diseases in the ‘ohana setting at Jenkins Eye Care.
- College University of California – Los Angeles, CA
- Medical and Graduate School - Weill Cornell / Rockefeller/ Sloan-Kettering – New York, NY
- Internship Joseph Mercy Hospital – Ann Arbor, MI
- Residency Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine – Houston, TX
- Fellowship University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Robert Cizik Eye Clinic
- American Board of Ophthalmology, 2016
Awards and Distinctions
- Chief Resident, Baylor Ophthalmology
- Merck New Investigator Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Glaucoma Society, Member
Click HERE to watch a short video about our newest associate
Nicole Chang, O.D. - Optometrist
Nicole Chang, O.D. focuses on the treatment of ocular surface disease.
Dr. Chang was born and raised on O‘ahu and is an alumna of Punahou School. She earned a bachelor’s degree in biology from the University of Southern California and her Doctor of Optometry (O.D.) degree at the Pacific University College of Optometry. Dr. Chang is a member of the Hawaii Optometric Association.
Prior to returning home to be closer to family, Dr. Chang worked in private practice in Los Angeles. She is delighted to be back in Honolulu to have the opportunity to serve the people of Hawai‘i at Jenkins Eye Care. She is particularly passionate about the diagnosis and management of dry eye syndrome and meibomian gland dysfunction. Dr. Chang’s ultimate goal is to help her patients improve their quality of life, be it through refractive surgery, cataract surgery, or the treatment of ocular surface disease.
Dr. Chang and her husband enjoy spending time with their two dogs, gardening, and trying new recipes. They are also avid travelers who love learning about the history and culture of the countries they visit and indulging in the local cuisine.
- College: University of Southern California
- Optometry School: Pacific University College of Optometry
- Dr. Barry Leonard and Associates - Panorama City, CA
- Indian Health Services - Blackfoot, ID
- Spark Matsunaga VA Medical Center - Honolulu, HI
- San Diego Naval Medical Center - San Diego, CA
- American Optometric Association
- Hawaii Optometric Association
Katherine Lynch, O.D., F.A.A.O. - Optometrist
Katherine B. Lynch, OD, FAAO graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a degree in both Zoology and Spanish. Following graduation, Dr. Lynch attended the New England College of Optometry in Boston, MA for her Doctor of Optometry. She completed her residency in Ocular Disease and Low Vision, with an emphasis in Brain Injury Rehabilitation at the VA West Haven in West Haven, CT, home to one the Department of Veterans Affairs Residential Blind Rehabilitation Centers. She has been a Fellow in the American Academy of Optometry since 2015.
Prior to joining Jenkins Eye Care, Dr. Lynch was an Assistant Professor at the Illinois College of Optometry with both clinical and didactic assignments. She served in the Illinois Eye Institute working with students and residents in ocular disease clinics and urgent care. She is an experienced educator, lecturer, and clinician. She has lectured at both local and national events as well as having numerous papers at national meetings.
Dr. Lynch coordinates the Clinical Research done at Jenkins Eye Care, upholding a practice value to contribute to medical advances in eye care. She is also our liaison for eye care providers in the community, ensuring seamless continuity of care for all our patients.
A Chicago native, she moved to Hawai’i in 2020 with her husband and dog, Lena. She enjoys reading, cooking, hiking, traveling, and attending live entertainment. She is on the Hawaii Public Radio Generation Listen Leadership team, and volunteers with Project Vision Hawaii.
- College- University of Wisconsin-Madison – Madison, WI
- Optometry School – New England College of Optometry – Boston, MA
- Indian Health Service – Santa Fe, NM,
- VA Boston Healthcare System, Jamaica Plain – Jamaica Plain, MA
- South End Community Health Center – Boston, MA
- Special Populations – Boston, MA
- Residency - West Haven Veterans Affairs Medical Center: Ocular Disease and Low Vision – West Haven, CT
- American Academy of Optometry, Fellow
- Hawaii Optometric Association, Member
- Accreditation Council on Optometric Education, Consultant